Monday, April 13, 2009

Publishing Part Three

Two days after I left my e-mail request on Xlibris’s website, I received a call from a customer service representative. We spent an hour on the phone in which she explained how Xlibris worked with authors to self publish their works and the various programs that are available through them. The programs ranged from very basic Advantage program at $299 to another six programs with a top figure of $12,999. Each program is designed to give the author just what they feel they need or are willing to invest into their work. I purchased the Premium program which gave me a full service package to bring a book to market and the necessary avenues and tools to contact my target markets. Premium package costs $2,999 at the time of this writing. There are currently only two levels higher than the Premium package.

After listening to this lady I was impressed there was no pressure to sign on just a willingness to work together. Something I didn’t receive from the two companies I was currently looking into. The decision to work with Xlibris, especially after getting the recommendation I did, was a no brainer.

Why would you want to self publish? First of all for me time was a factor in two ways. My current novel is dealing with a time frame of current events. If I went with the publishing house route it could be a year to eighteen months before the book hit the market if I was accepted by one. Secondly, I am sixty seven and I feel strongly this is a good book and wanted to see it published before the Good Lord decides its time to me to return to where ever my spirit will go to.

Self publishing gives you, at least with Xlibris, all the retention to the rights of your book. Be very careful here; make sure you receive this in writing no matter who you should deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment