Friday, April 3, 2009

Chapter Nine Feedback

“Mr. President,” McDonald steps back in, “may I be so bold as to suggest that we deal with this issue jointly with Israel, the country which stands to lose so much – as much if not more than we do. I know it is highly irregular, but nobody’s written a text book covering this scenario.”

The president summarizes what he’s heard, then adds, “It’s my opinion that we don’t have to make a decision overnight. Maria, I’d like you to have our ambassador to the United Nations come back to Washington for a briefing after I meet with the military once more. McDonald and John, I want daily reports on what you both see happening with Iran. Admiral and both Generals, I’d like each of you to present me with specifics on how you see your forces handling a situation such as we believe we have here. May I suggest that you confer with each other and – create your plans for the worst case scenario. I want you all to take time. I’d like to see a strategy plan from our military leaders in six weeks.

“I will close with my own following thoughts,” the president continues after a pause. “I’ve studied Iran for many years. I don’t see them having the same economic problems the Soviet Union had. I also believe that Israel may have averted nuclear war over the last thirty years because of the action they took in 1981. That said, we still need to make careful, rational decisions for the future. Thank you all for coming.”

The president rises, nods to each in turn, then leaves the Situation Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment