Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chapter Ten Middle of May

The morning after he receives permission to set up a meeting with his so-called desert rats, Bergman calls Natan Schwartz. He leaves a message on Schwartz’s voice mail asking him for a return call.

Four hours later, Mossad’s receptionist calls Bergman, and tells him that a gentleman identifying himself only as ‘Natan’ is returning his call. “He’s on line three,” she tells Bergman.

Bergman punches the button and picks up his phone. “Natan,” he says. “How are you?”

“I’m fine,” a deep voice replies with distrust, “but to whom am I speaking? Do I know you? I’m sorry, but I know a lot of Yosefs.”

“It’s not your imagination,” Bergman agrees. “We have never met personally. However your new business venture has been recommended to me and my boss. We would like to meet with you and your partner. Would it be possible for you to fit us in to your schedule, either this week or next?”

“Do you mind telling me what you have in mind?” asks Schwartz.

“I’d rather that my boss tells you and that both of you hear it from him together. If after hearing about it you have any interest in our project, we can proceed from there, or simply forget about it.” Bergman pauses, then adds, “All I’m authorized to tell you is that it would be a full-time project, involving anywhere from thirty to ninety days.”

“I will speak with my partner to see what his schedule looks like, and if he thinks we can consider that lengthy a project at this time. I will call you back, in two days time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment