Monday, October 1, 2012

An agent and an editor

The manuscript for Behind the Lies was completed in January 2008.  The search for an editor who understood military thrillers began and it wasn't easy.  It actually took six months to find one and I had to wait three months to get an appointment to meet with her.  While searching for an editor I began looking for an agent.  I contacted the five agents who handled big name authors most of us who read military thrillers are aware of.  I received five rejections saying they were not looking to work with new authors.  Understandable!  My search continued by using the Internet for agents who listed military thrillers on their website resumes.  I found thirty-six, I sent each of them an e-mail inquiring whether or not they would like a synopsis or query of the manuscript.  I received thirteen responses.  I also received thirteen rejections after submitting what each requested.  However, this time I learned another lesson.  Two rejections were women.  The first one said the manuscript will make a good book but she was not the right agent for it.  The second said the book will sell but she too was not the right agent for it.  There was another place to turn and I began to consider self-publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment