Monday, September 24, 2012

How I Started My Writing Career

Toward the middle of 2005, my wife and I began talking about what I would do when I retired at the end of 2007.  She said, "You're a salesman, full of words.  Why don't you consider writing?"  "I can't write." I told her.  "Why not?" she said.  "You do articles for the Jewish Reporter newspaper and you have a column in the local Catholic magazine.  What you should consider is going back to school and taking an English composition class to brush up on your grammar."  I followed her suggestion and signed up for a twelve week English Comp course at the local community college.  I was sixty-four years old in a class full of young twenty year old adults.  We had a woman professor who made the class very interesting.  Over the twelve weeks we had six writing assignments.  Believe it or not I received an A.  The important thing was I not only learned to improve my grammar but that I liked to write and could write.   After the class was finished I had to consider what my next step would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment