Monday, May 16, 2011

Chapter Twenty-Nine After Salt Lake

Anxiously both Joan and Carla take seats around Tyler.
He begins with arriving in Salt Lake and seeing how large a community it is compared to what he is familiar with.  He realizes Joan may have seen it before but he is sure Carla has never been there.  Then he goes into how they met with Attorney Anderson, who drafted the will for his aunt and uncle.  He tells them his last name is Martin.  He explains how he had to answer a list of questions for the attorney to be sure that he was their nephew.  Stopping for a moment to really digest the reality of what is going on; Tyler tells them about the Martin’s property being willed to him, along with their herd and horses if he can ever locate them.  He tells them there is some money willed to him from their savings located in the bank of Salt Lake but doesn’t say the amount as he wants to keep his personal business private other than Scott and Joan.  He will tell Joan the amount at a later time if she doesn’t hear it from her father first.
Both women sit there a little stunned.  Neither one of them knows what to say for a moment.
Carla is the first to speak.  “Will you be leaving us?”
“Not right away.  I need to wait for the papers to be filed on the title of the property.  I did change over the names on the account to mine yesterday but I left the money in the bank.   Joan, the lawyer will be sending the papers in your name at the general mail box at the storekeeper’s.  Your dad felt it would be safer for anyone to see something coming to you from an attorney than something addressed to me.”
Joan finally is able to say something.  “I think that’s a good idea.”
“I thought so too.”
“After I receive the papers which could take up to a month to get, I need to ride the property and make sure I know the boundaries.  The property is fifteen hundred acres.”
            “Oh, my God,” says Carla.

No comments:

Post a Comment