Monday, May 9, 2011

Chapter Twenty-Eight Heading for Salt Lake

After breakfast and the horses are tended to, Joan hitches up the buckboard while Scott and Mike help Tyler down the stairs and outside.  Carla has an assortment of blankets and pillows for him to be comfortable. 

Scott and Mike help Tyler onto the buckboard, then he and Joan climb onto the driver’s seat.  Scott takes the reins and drives the horses at a slower than normal pace so as not to toss Tyler around.  Mike rides ahead. 

“Don’t you think we might be overdoing this a little dad?”

“I want everyone who sees us to think he has some real problems and isn’t healing too well.  It’s amazing that he has been able to keep the truth from Mike for so long.

“He’s done a good job at that and I know one thing for sure. Whoever killed his relatives and took a shot at him is in for a surprise when he finds them, if he ever does.”

“I have no doubt that he will someday.  Tyler is a very determined man.”

“Do you think he can hear us?” 

“No, why, I think he’s asleep.”

“I think you like him, don’t you?”

Joan doesn’t respond for a couple of minutes, looking at her father she says, “Yes, I guess I do.  Don’t know if he feels the same way though.”

“He’s been through a lot lately and has a lot on his mind.  I’ve been watching his eyes though since I noticed you caring for him.  I would bet the ranch that he does.”

“What are you trying to do, get me married off?”

“Heck no, it’s just that when you see a good man, you hope your daughter finds one like him.  After all, those two ladies from town never came to visit you before he got shot.  Think about it.  They’re interested in him too, don’t you think they’re not.”

“Oh dad, it’s just your imagination.”

No comments:

Post a Comment