Thursday, February 17, 2011

Writers workshop for those interested in starting to write!

Last spring, the program director of Elliot Hospital’s Senior Center in Manchester NH, asked me if I could create a workshop. She told me she receives a number of requests about writing with the question, how can someone start?

I told her I would put something together and see if it met with her approval. She thought the topics for an interactive program were exactly what she is looking for. We did the one and a half hour session late September. Eleven people registered, at the close of the program they wanted more.  I gave them resources they could use to further their interests.

A week after the program was listed in the hospital’s quarterly magazine, I received a call from their primary care facility in Londonderry New Hampshire. They asked me if I would do the same program in their facility. We booked it for this coming spring.

I had an idea, if seniors are interested in writing, where do I find other people who are. This new found interest inspired me because it made me realize I began to write because of my wife’s nudging and writers’ organizations I joined. If that support helped me, maybe I can help others to begin. I began to call libraries and tell them about the program.

Today, I have a list of bookings at libraries and one with a live cable TV shoot scheduled for March 21st. Everyone has a story to tell. If it means enough to them they can find a way to express it.

No comments:

Post a Comment