Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter Three Sheriff McLane

“Well, I buried the couple and their two children near one of the corrals yesterday. I wanted to report it to you. I couldn’t find anything to mark the grave, whoever goes out will be able to pick out the spot.”

“What are you doing in these parts stranger?” stated in a negative tone.

“Just looking for some work, is anyone you know hiring a hand?”

“Circle J always seems to be looking for a hand; you can probably find one of their boys over at the saloon. They could tell you.”

“Can you get a hot meal in this town?”

“At the far end of the street on the left hand side is a small place its good with hearty portions.”

“Is there a livery stable I can put up my horse for the night?”

“Right across from where you want to eat is a small stable, just tell Sam, I sent you.”

“Thanks, I’ll go put up my horse and then have something to eat. I’ll try and find one of those Circle J riders you mentioned to see if they are hiring.” Tyler leaves the sheriff’s office with an uneasy feeling.

He is unable to put a finger on it; something seems missing in the way the sheriff isn’t really interested in what happened. Tyler unties Tequila and walks her down to the stable across from the dining establishment.

As he passes some horses tied up in front of the saloon, he notices that one horse’s rear shoe is making marks in the ground with the same indentation he saw where the raiding party tied up their horses. Coincidence could be, but I doubt it. However, that information doesn’t prove a damn thing. Right now it’s something to keep in the back of my head. I’m glad I didn’t mention the shod horses to the sheriff just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment