Monday, November 15, 2010

Chapter Four Checking Around

Leaving the rooming house Tyler heads over to the saloon. Walking through the swinging entrance doors, he notices that a number of pairs of eyes are on him.
Walking up to the bar he asks for a beer.

“Do you want anything else to go with that beer cowboy?”

“No, the beer will be enough for right now. Who owns the red roan out front?”

“Why? She’s not for sale,” a voice speaks from the back table.

“Not in the market to buy, just admiring a good looking horse, that’s all.

“Anyone here work for the Circle J? I’m looking to hire on if there’s work.”

From the same man who replied about the roan, at the back table the new reply comes, “My dad and I are looking for two hands. How long have you been punching cows?”

Sipping his beer slowly, Tyler turns and looks at the man called Johnny. “Since, I was a young teen which is about half my lifetime right now. What are you paying?”

“The usual, you get thirty bucks a month, room and board. We also supply relief horses so you don’t work yours to death. We don’t mind if you do it, just not the horses.” Johnny starts laughing at his own remark and a couple of others follow suit.

Tyler looks around the room watching who sides with Johnny. I wonder if they were on the raid with him yesterday.

Johnny says, “I’m heading back to the ranch tomorrow around mid morning. Meet me out front around ten. You can ride out with me and talk to my dad. I’m sure he’ll hire you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment