Monday, April 25, 2011

Chapter Twenty-Six Scott's Plan

“When you sent me to town to find out what happened to the sheriff, I talked to the blacksmith the second day I was there. Before I left after questioning him, I asked him if he had ever seen a mark like that, saying that I had seen it a long time ago. He told me that some blacksmiths use a template to hold a shoe in place as they work it. This creates a v in the shoe. He also said he hadn’t seen it in years. That’s all I can tell you right now.”

Scott looks at Joan. “I haven’t told anyone this. White Cloud showed me the tracks of the rider who turned when he and Little Dove came upon Tyler. They couldn’t identify the rider but his horse has a definite v shape in a hind hoof.”

“Dad, are you saying Johnny, shot Tyler?”

“Based on what Tyler just said, I would say Johnny could be a prime suspect in all of this. Can we prove it, is another thing? If we start talking about the v on the shoe, he can easily replace it.”

“His father being the biggest rancher around here is going to pack a lot of weight if we try and build a case,” remarks Tyler. “I haven’t said anything because who is going to believe some ranch hand who has only been around a couple of months. I’m also thinking that maybe he’s not in this alone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment