Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chapter Two Meeting Doctor B


Inside of the veterinarian’s office all of the technicians and clerical staff are ogling over Tova. I am as proud as a peacock. Customers with other pets are straining to see her, trying hard not to upset their own animals.

We were placed in one of the examining rooms to wait for the doctor. Doctor Bloomfield is a great vet. He is also a hunter who owns two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. So he’s cool with hunting dogs.

As I stroke her back and her head, “Easy girl, this is okay, nothing to be afraid of.”

You take me to so many different places. Why don’t we stay put sometime?

As the six-foot doctor with a large build enters the room he looks at Tova appearing amazed at what he sees. Then he places her on the table.

Why did this man put me on this cold table? It’s slippery and hard to stand up. Ouch, watch where you grab, dummy. I don’t really like this!

While checking her for any possible imperfections or aliments he says, “You’re going to show her, right. She is show quality.”

“No, I never planned to show her. I just want a good bird dog and a good companion.”

“Well, you should, she’d win a number of awards.”

“Doc, I’m not into that. It’s not my style.”

“You’ve got yourself a good dog here. Where the hell did you steal her?”

So I proceed to tell him how I found the breeder and he just snickers and says, “You paid a lot less than she’s worth. Damn, she’ll be good, I can tell looking at her. She’ll be at least seventy pounds you know. That’s bordering on the size of a small male.”

“Hey, one of the reasons, I decided to get a female was because the stats say they range from 48-60 pounds. She’s going to live in the house. My wife’s never experienced a large dog before and she already knows this is a high energy breed. I told her if she could live through the first two years we won’t get divorced.”

“What can I tell you. I don’t care what the books say. I’m just talking from my experience. She’ll be at least seventy pounds. One more thing, I recommend you get a chip for her.” (A chip being a micro chip implanted under her skin.) I had the chip implanted before we left.

Thanks for taking me off that table, dad. I guess I can call you dad, mine seems to have disappeared. Let’s get out of here now.

We moved to the reception area so I could book her for scheduled shots.

I left not really believing him. C’mon all of the books I read on the breed say otherwise. They should be right. Wrong, full grown Tova became a lean seventy-five pounds and solid muscle. So much for the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment