Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Chapter One


Hey, you can put me down, I can walk. Why are you opening up those big doors? You’re not going to put me into that are you? What the heck is this thing? I’m leaving, why?

“Easy there girl, don’t be afraid. Nothing is going to hurt you.”

Easy for you to say big guy, I’m just a little puppy.

Tova yipped for awhile then fell asleep listening to music from the radio; and the rhythm of the ride, she slept most of the way home. She had comfortable blankets to curl up on and she was probably tired from playing with her brothers and sister. Waking up in this strange cage was not something she enjoyed. She began yipping again as puppies usually do and whining when yipping didn’t get her results. Fortunately, we were close to the house when she decided to take a dump. It was open the windows time; this little girl began to stink up the Suburban.

Where am I? What is the humming noise I’m hearing? Where is everyone else? This is scary! Let me out of here.

As I pull into the driveway, my wife, Linda walks out of the house. She couldn’t wait to see this puppy. I’m sure she realized I was not coming home empty handed. Gently I lifted Tova out of the cage and placed her down on the lawn. She walked around sniffing new odors and looked at us.

Why did you take me away? I was happy where I lived. Bring me back there.

Linda reached down and picks her up. You could see the pleasure in her eyes as she held another dog again. “I’ll bring her around back while you clean out the truck. Tova needs to scent the back yard.” The two of them head behind the house while I removed the cage and cleaned up the back end of my vehicle and hosed down the cage before I returned it to the owner.

Starting my vehicle, I could imagine her saying, Wait for me, don’t leave without me. Take me back home...

(Photo by Linda H. Feinberg)

No comments:

Post a Comment