Thursday, November 26, 2009

Chapter Seventy-One Middle of June

Three floors below the ground level, a special ops team consisting of Jim Stewart, Tony Romano and Jane St. John are sitting at a table discussing their current assignment.

“Before we get started, how about some coffee?” Stewart suggests.

“Okay, with a little milk for me,” says St. John. Romano passes. Stewart brings two cups to the table.

Sitting down, he begins, “As you know, I met with Scott Brubaker last week. I suggested the Wild Rooster to him, since that was where he met his lady friend while I was observing him. The fact that I proposed the Wild Rooster seemed to have no effect on him, so I can’t be sure whether or not she plays a role in what we’re looking for.

“During our dinner meeting he told me that he could not divulge his sources, that he only passes on information he feels is of interest to the public. He allowed that some of what he reports may only be disinformation. Or as we call it, bullshit to blind-side the enemy.

“He remained cordial even after I made him aware that the congressional committee seeking this information could call him before an inquiry panel and that, if he chose to plea the fifth, they could put pressure on his employer. After dinner I said we might have to meet again if the committee felt it necessary. He didn’t seem to have a problem with that.”

“Cool character,” Romano comments. “But the media thinks they’re above the law anyway.” Stewart shakes his head at this comment.

“Mr. Cool may not be so cool after all,” he goes on. “A team bugged his home phone while we had dinner. It appears he called the White House late last night and left an unusual voice message for someone there. I don’t know who yet, but I’ll lay you odds it’s either his source or close to it. I need to check who has that extension.”

“What did the message say?” St. John asks. “Did it make any sense?”

“Word for word: Congress is making inquiries. I need protection.”

“Protection from what?”

No comments:

Post a Comment