Monday, September 7, 2009

Chapter Forty-Eight Feedback Return

“More than zero would be a significant number in my book,” Proctor comments. “Any word from the CIA on that?”

“If they have anything, the director isn’t passing it down, at least not yet,” says Dave. “Walker told me they’d been told to share everything – but he didn’t sound like he put much store in that actually happening. Okay, you’ve helped me come up with several key issues to go in my report – and it only took us a couple of hours and three steak dinners to do it,” he joked, then quickly grew serious. “From here on in, I want you to keep your ears and eyes open for even the slightest hint of anything that might be going on over there, anything at all. I can’t say why, but I have a very bad feeling about this one.”

Ritter rises to leave, then hesitates, “Dave, you been around twice as long as I have. What are you suspecting?”

“This doesn’t leave this room, you hear? If they even end up with only two workable nukes that they can deliver from a sub, I can’t help thinking number one would be fired into Israel. And they’d come after us with number two.”

Proctor drops his feet to the floor and sits bolt upright. “You’re shitting me, right, Dave?”

“No,” Dave says quietly, shaking his head. “I’m not.”

Ritter sits back down and stares at Proctor. The thought of a nuke being delivered to a coastal city in the United States has clearly never entered either of their minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment