Sunday, April 27, 2014

Course Decision

Last Friday Anoush checked on classes with the art institute in the city.  Watercolor painting classes were booked.   The decision he needs to make is should he wait until the next round of classes begin or should he try acrylic painting.  He debates the issue in his head. 

Before making his decision, he stops by the school at the end of Monday and hopes to see his art instructor who taught him to do watercolor painting.  At the front office they tell him, the professor has not left the building and he could find him up in his room.

Anoush walks up the stairs to the second floor.  The office told him which room the professor would be in.  He walks down to the door and knocks on the door molding to make his presence known.

“Anoush how are you?  I remember you saying you would be away.  When did you return?”

The art professor is a short fellow with bifocals to aid with his vision. His hair is balding and he could use some exercise looking at his stature.

“I returned last week.  I contacted the school last Friday and found your next series of classes is booked.  I’m glad for you.  I need to make a decision which I am uncomfortable with.”

“What decision do you need to make, are you going away again?”

“No professor, I learned while I was away how much I missed painting and don’t want to wait until the next set of classes to begin painting.”

“Then what do you want help with, what kind of decision needs to be made?”

“You made me feel comfortable with painting with watercolors.  I am tempted to try an acrylic painting class.”

The professor looks into the serious set of eyes Anoush is broadcasting.  “You are a talented artist, you don’t realize it yet.  You have a gift, not everyone has.  My first suggestion is if you are not comfortable taking a different art medium, you should continue to paint on your own with watercolors.   My second suggestion is you should take an acrylic class.  You may find that you like it.  That doesn’t mean you have to give up something you like such as watercolors.  It means you have two mediums to paint with.”

No comments:

Post a Comment