Monday, September 12, 2011

Chapter Forty-Three Legal Shock

He puts the wheel barrel down and starts walking towards the house where the rider is headed.  “Can I help you?”

“I’m looking for John Peters Sr., is he around?”

“That’s my pa; he passed away a couple of days ago.  Why are you looking for him?”

“Is your mother around?”

“You haven’t answered my question, mister.  No, my mother and my sister are back east right now.”

“Well, since you seem to be the next family member around, I’ll answer your question by giving you this.”

The man steps down from his horse and stretches before he hands Matt an envelope.

“Can you tell me what this is all about?”

“Do you read young man?”

“Yes, I can read, why?”

“It’s important then, that you read those papers, your property and your family have two civil law claims against them.  Someone will have to appear in court in three months to explain your side of the circumstances or you will forfeit your rights and lose the cases.”

“What, I’ve never heard of such a thing.”

“It’s all legal young man.  My job is to deliver the paperwork and that’s all I am responsible for.  Good day!”  The man remounts his horse turns it back towards the road and moves off.

No comments:

Post a Comment