Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chapter Thirty-Five Conversations Continue

“I think it’s time for me to say what I have known for a long time now.  When I arrived at the Evan’s ranch, I found where the raiding party tied their mounts.  All of them were shod horses and one in particular had a v-groove in a hind shoe.  The next day in front of the saloon I found the same shoe mark on a red roan tied to the hitching rail.  Going inside to strike up conversation to see who owned that horse I learned that Johnny Peters owned the roan.  There were similar markings where the shooter who killed the sheriff tied his mount, according to Henry.  Scott you told me about the same type of groove White Cloud showed you when I was shot.  There is a pattern here that tells me we’re not dealing with Indians or renegades even though the Martins and Evans were killed with arrows.

“If we haven’t been aware of the braves then maybe there are numerous other things we are not aware of.  For instance, how is it that only the neighbors of the Peters’ property have been attacked.  Who is next on their agenda?”

Mike goes on, “Are you accusing the Peters of the raids on the Martins and the Evans?”

“Yes, one or more of their family is planning to move and expand their ranch.  There is no law out here and the army can’t watch over everything.  Their main responsibility is protecting federal law not local law.”

No comments:

Post a Comment