Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chapter Ninety-Four Dealing with the Vice President

President Egan sighs, then picks up his phone and asks Janet to have the chief of staff come to his office.

From the moment she walks through the door, Maria Sterling senses that something is not quite right. “Have a seat, Maria,” the president says gravely. “I need to discuss some things with you before I go down to the Situation Room.”

“Do you want me to go with you after we speak?”

“No, I don’t.”

“Mr. President, may I speak freely?”

“Go ahead. I intend to.”

This is beginning to sound worse every time he opens his mouth, Sterling realizes.

“Maria, I selected you as my chief of staff because I saw in you a dynamic woman with the ability to get things done. Where did I go wrong?”

“I beg your pardon, sir?”

“I’m not in the mood for pussy-footing around. I want to know why you leaked information that ended up in two press releases to Scott Brubaker.”

“Who said I leaked something to the Post?”

“Scott Brubaker did.” The president stares intently at Sterling. “I want to know why you did what you did?”

Oh my God, the asshole couldn’t keep his mouth shut. Sterling’s response is nothing short of confrontational. “You want the contrite version or what I really feel?”

No comments:

Post a Comment