Friday, May 1, 2009

Chapter Seventeen Meeting with Top Military Leaders

President Egan calls Janet White and instructs her to set a date one week from this Friday for him to meet with Admiral Smith and Generals Bradley and Sanford. “Make it for in the Situation Room. It will just be the four of us,” he tells her. “We’ll start at nine. Tell them to plan to spend all day if necessary. And arrange for Marine guards posted outside.”

“I’ll contact the admiral and the generals, sir,” Janet answers. Two hours later, she confirms the meeting.

“Janet,” the president adds, “If anyone needs my attention that day, you are to instruct them I am unavailable unless it is, literally, a national emergency. If absolutely necessary, you, and only you, are to call me in the Situation Room.”

“Yes, sir, Mr. President. I’ll handle my end.” Janet could not keep from smiling at the thought of how the rest of the president’s staff will take this. They’re gonna go bonkers, she thinks with pleasure, wondering why they weren’t included and what’s going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment