Monday, March 30, 2009

Experiences with Publishing Part One

In January of 2008, I completed my novel “Behind The Lies” after twenty-six months of writing. Usually a writer who desires to get published immediately thinks of finding an agent in order to get published.

The next three months I contacted thirty-one agents. Six of them I found in published books of successful writers of military fiction. They had no interest in dealing with a beginner author.

Next, I contacted twenty-five agents who post themselves on the internet with interest in military thriller genre. Guess what, only twelve of them ever responded to my inquiry asking what they required to consider my manuscript. Ten of the twelve send me the standard rejection notice and the funny thing one of the rejection notices didn’t even have the book title correct.

However, two women agents responded by saying: the first one said, “She is not the right agent for this book but encouraged me to continue as she felt it is a good book.” The second one said, “She is not the right agent for the book but felt that the book is sellable.”

Going through this process I learned that even if you find an agent who will seek a publisher for you. It could take anywhere from a year to eighteen months for the book to be published. Plus the average royalty rate is 5%.

One of my wife’s clients who creates children’s books told me about the world of self-publishing. She said, “If you really feel your book is worthwhile for readers take a look at getting it self published.”

Next posting I will discuss my adventures in considering looking for an editor and the world of self publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment